Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fixing Windows 7 MBR overwritten by Grub2

Dear Readers,
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.
Recently I faced the problem of having the MBR of my IDE HDD being overwritten by Grub2. I found an article describing the recovery process: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392. Unfortunately when I tried that, the System Recovery Options window was not listing any OS! I figured out that I had to disable my other HDD (on which Linux - Debian was installed) and retry. This time I could see the Windows 7 installation listed in the recovery window. Startup Repair options didn't work and I had to resolve to opening the command prompt and using bootrec.exe. All I had to type at the command prompt was

C:
cd boot
bootrec /FixMbr


Maybe the first two lines are not even required!.
Done by the mercy of Sridharaswamy Maharaja.

No comments:

Post a Comment