Saturday, October 2, 2010

Installing openSUSE 11.3 was a rough ride

Blessed
Yesterday, I installed openSUSE 11.3 on my HP Pavilion desktop a6340in with strong faith in Sathguru bhagwan that it will be a success. After I finished and booted into my account, the keyboard and mouse froze. There was no alternative but to restart with the power button of the PC! But there was no such problem when I booted using the 'failsafe mode' chosen from the grub menu.

Googling
I did a google search on the problem and found that there was a problem with the kernel and video driver combination. I also found a note in the 'Details' section during installation that one may have to use 'nomodeset' as boot argument for the kernel. This argument already present when booting in the 'failsafe mode'. I also found a couple of more hints of how to achieve best results in this situation.

The solution
I added 'nomodeset' to the kernel boot arguments in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. I also added the following line to the file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf':

Driver "intellegacy"


By the mercy of Sathguru, it worked!!

No comments:

Post a Comment